Bibertaler Blutegelzucht (link)
[quote from Bibrtaler BEZ]..." These bloodsucking animals have long had to live with prejudices. This is understandable if you are only superficially acquainted with them, although they hardly correspond to the negative image which up to now they have been given. Their reputation could hardly be worse. They are unfortunately not only famous for their healing qualities, but also stigmatized as infamous bloodsuckers. Nonetheless, if judged in human terms, leeches lead a very tolerable life.
- They are not subject to gluttony. One meal is enough to sustain them for 1 to 2 years. (Who amongst us can make that claim?)
- They reside in only the purest of water.
- They are beautiful to behold. The markings on their backs are exceptional, and their elegant swimming style is very similar to that of dolphins.
- Their bite does not really hurt very much. In fact, it usually causes only a slight irritation.
- They cleanse the star-shaped wounds they have caused.
- Their saliva glands are free of pathogens.
During their more than 450-million-year-old history (at that point their tracks trail off), prejudices have obviously never been able to stop them from constantly innovating and further developing the healing effects they have on those beings they have targeted: mammals – including ourselves!" [end of quote]